Monday, October 26, 2009

Short book review: "Undead and Unwed" by Mary Janice Davidson

Betsy Taylor is 30 years old, single, and a model-turned-secretary. She has a rotten day, which culminates in getting hit by an SVU ... and yet she wakes up, "alive" and well. Turns out she's the prophesied Queen of the Vampires--Queen Bess, get it?.

I was excited for this book--it seems to combine two of my loves, vampires and Sex and the City, with a wink in the direction of Tudor history as well. It's a small book, so I was expecting a quick and enjoyable read. Instead, I struggled through the first couple of chapters and put it down. A couple of weeks later I tried again, but it just didn't work.

The main problem, I think, is that the main character is so incredibly shallow and self-absorbed. She kills two people, and yet is more worried about the fact that she's wearing bad shoes. No, that's really not a exaggeration. The people around her don't react at all as if something is, you know, wrong with the fact that she's come back from the dead. They react with the same glossy, flippant humor that she herself displays. Maybe this was intended to be light and airy, but it just comes across as strange, as flat and ridiculous. I don't expect every vampire book to be as self-conscious and brooding as Anne Rice, but the characters do need to at least seem like somewhat real people.

Honestly, I never made it through the book. That happens very rarely with me, but there was just nothing here to interest me.

2 comments:

Little FAT Me said...

True story about this book, and all those after it: I had these and could not stand them for the same reasons you bring up. Then after having a really bad year when I thought to myself, "Fuck being smart. The stupid people just keep kicking my life in the nuts so I will just join them." I found the Shopaholic series and just let myself get lost in dumb. After that reading these ~ and those ~ make me smile. It's glossy and fabricated, and sometime just what I need!

purplegirl said...

I love the Shopaholic books! Nothing against brain candy in general, just this particular book I couldn't get in to.